Unlike many children his age, Isaac doesn't have a blankie or a deeply cherished stuffy. He doesn't suck his thumb or fingers either.
To relax and soothe himself, Isaac plays with his HAIR..or the hair of his momma or dada whichever is most accessible. I think this began when I would hold and nurse him, and I'd brush my hair on his face to soothe him. Since then, whenever he's tired he immediately begins playing with his hair. Several months ago, I told this to my mom - she was kind of skeptical, but a couple hours later, he did it! She was pretty amazed! When we lay him down in his crib to go to sleep, he rolls over on his tummy and puts his hands up to play with his hair. It's so cute to watch, it's just like clockworks.
When we hold him in our arms, he also wraps his arms around our necks and plays with our hair at the nape of our neck, with his head on our shoulder. (He gets a little frustrated when I have my hair in a ponytail.) I guess it's a great thing to be attached to. It doesn't have any long lasting physical problems or result in any tantrums if lost. I guess the only drawback would be no buzz-cuts in the summer.
So there you have it. If ever he's cranky and puts his hands to his hair, you know he's tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment