I know that today's St. Patty's Day, and I admit, I'm not wearing green. I think it's the holiday I like the least. Just because I forgot to wear green, that gives people the right to PINCH me! Actually, growing up I was the one to wear green socks, or some random green thing so that if someone were to pinch me I could say "Nice try...I'm wearing this tiny green thing!" I did buy a Shamrock plant. I love those things. I was so sad when they didn't have any last year and jumped on the opportunity when I saw them sold this year. That makes 2 shamrock plants I own. I have one with pink flowers and one with white flowers. I recently found out that the species name is Oxalis Regnelli, so if we ever have a girl named Nellie, that will be her plant!What I love about March 17, is that it's the birthday of the oldest and largest women's organization in the world, Relief Society! We're celebrating 169 years today! Last month while talking to sisters in my ward, I realized how amazing Relief Society is! It can improve every facet of our lives from homemaking to spirituality. I guess in a way I learned everything in Relief Society because I learned everything from my mother, and she learned everything as a new mother from attending Relief Society meetings.
What really got me thinking of this was sitting down at the piano and playing some of my favorite songs. Most of them are from my Women of Destiny songbook, which has songs that highlight the Relief Society declaration. I've had the dream for a while of organizing a stake fireside where sisters sang these songs and then spoke on the the RS declaration. I think this would really be a perfect way to celebrate the birthday of Relief Society! As I think of the RS declaration, I get the same feelings as when I recite the Young Women's theme. I know that both organizations were divinely inspired of God and teach strong values to women of all ages. For those of you who didn't know, the following is the Relief Society declaration:
We are beloved spirit daughters of God,
and our lives have meaning, purpose, and direction.
As a worldwide sisterhood, we are united in our devotion
to Jesus Christ, our Savior and Exemplar.
We are women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity who:
Increase our testimonies of Jesus Christ
through prayer and scripture study.
Seek spiritual strength by following the
promptings of the Holy Ghost.
Dedicate ourselves to strengthening
marriages, families, and homes.
Find nobility in motherhood
and joy in womanhood.
Delight in service and good works.
Love life and learning.
Stand for truth and righteousness.
Sustain the priesthood
as the authority of God on earth.
Rejoice in the blessings of the temple,
understand our divine destiny,
and strive for exaltation.
1 comment:
i think we should design a cross stitch picture for this declaration. i haven't read it for many years, but it makes me feel that all that i have tried to do while raising my children is all worth it!!
Post a Comment