9.02.2010

The Cream Puffs

Wow, have I totally indulged myself! In the past 24 hours I have probably eaten 9 Cream Puffs. I might actually feel sick. It all started with a friendly donation of 1/2 a carton of Whipping Cream that was due to expire in 2 days. What was I to make with Whipping Cream? Only one thing came to mind....cream puffs. I remember my mom making them once or twice when I was a child, and have always LOVED those frozen ones you can buy. I made them years ago when I was living in Edmonton and have since not had any homemade ones at all! So I referred to my all-knowing "JOY OF COOKING" book and found a recipe.
_________________

Cream Puffs
(This recipe made 11 3 inch puffs)
Preheat oven to 400F

1/2 C water or milk or combination of both
1/4 C butter (margerine works too)
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
______

1/2 C flour

Combine all but flour in small saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat. Add flour all at once stirring vigorously with wooden spoon. Keep stirring until mixture no longer sticks to sides of pan or the spoon and forms a clump. Transfer to a bowl and cool for 5 min stirring a couple times.

Add ONE AT A TIME:
2 eggs

...making sure paste is smooth before adding the next egg. Stir together until the mixture becomes thick & harder to stir.

I used a tbsp to drop heaping spoonfuls of the mixture on to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 10 min, then reduce temp to 350F and bake for 25 min.

Once they were a little cool I used a turkey baster to inject the puffs with the CREAM! For a little pizzaz I put a little raspberry jam into the puff too.

Don't they look cute!

The recipe seems labour intensive, but is really surprizingly easy and quick.

We STILL had some whipping cream left, so we had waffles for dinner, trying to use as much whipping cream we could. I don't recommend doing the same. You won't feel too good.


2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow Brooklyn! These look SOOO good! I'm going to have to try making these!

Mark is such a lucky husband :)

Sister Jackie Hudson Miller said...

I haven't made cream puffs for years, this brought back good memories! ya, all that cream, kind of sickening, eh? LOL Love ya'll!